Nha Trang Mountain Church, also known as Nha Trang Holy Rosary Church, is a Catholic church located in Nha Trang, a city in the Khanh Hoa province of Vietnam. It is a well-known landmark and popular tourist destination in the area, known for its scenic views and religious significance. The church is built on the slopes of a mountain and offers panoramic views of the city and surrounding areas. It is a peaceful place for visitors to reflect, pray, or simply admire the natural beauty of the area. If you’re visiting Nha Trang, a visit to the Nha Trang Mountain Church is definitely worth considering!
Where is Nha Trang Stone Church?
Nha Trang Stone Church (also known as Christ the King Cathedral) is a famous Catholic church in Nha Trang. Besides, the church has many other names such as: Mountain Church (because it is located on the top of Hoang Lan hill); Catholic Church (because this is a Catholic church in Nha Trang); Stone Church (because it was built of stone); Nga Sau Church (because it is located near the intersection of 6 Thai Nguyen Street)…
- Address: No. 01 Thai Nguyen, Phuoc Tan Ward, Nha Trang City, Khanh Hoa Province (At the beginning of Nguyen Trai Street, the intersection with the intersection of 6 Thai Nguyen Street, on the top of Hoang Lan Hill)
- Open time:
– Weekdays: 5:30 am – 5:00 pm
– Weekends: From 5:00am – 7:00am and 11am – 4:30pm
– Mass at Nha Trang Mountain Church is usually on Saturday and Sunday
See More: Ho Chi Minh To Nha Trang Car Rental
History of Nha Trang Stone Church
- Nha Trang in 1885 consisted of only a few fishing villages scattered along the coast. Catholics at that time were quite few, they lived and performed religious activities in Cho Moi Parish.
- In 1886, the French colonial government came to Nha Trang to build the government and built two great works, namely the Pasteur Institute and the Institute of Oceanography. To meet the needs of religious activities for the parishioners of Nha Trang and the French living there, a small chapel was built temporarily on the beach of Nha Trang.
- Seeing the people’s need for religious activities, priest Louis Vallet (1869-1945) established a new parish in Nha Trang and proceeded to build a new church, which is now the Nha Trang Mountain Church.
- According to the explanation about Nha Trang Mountain Church by local tour guides, the church was built in 1928 and completed in 1933.
See more: Nha Trang Car Rental With Driver
The unique beauty of the mountain church architecture in Nha Trang
Nha Trang Mountain Church has a length of 36m, a width of 20m, located on a height of 12m. The overall layout of the church is strong with stereoscopic stone blocks dyed with time. With bold Gothic architecture, the Church of the Mountain has the appearance of the majestic and attractive citadels of ancient Rome.
Magnificent and mysterious sanctuary
The most attractive feature of Nha Trang Mountain Church is the European Gothic style cathedral. Behind the door are two rows of seats arranged in a straight line with a main hall in the middle that leads directly to Jesus.
The cathedral is very wide and airy, the arches are designed like an arrow pointing straight up to the sky, harmoniously and beautifully. Besides, visitors can easily recognize the paintings of the suffering life of God which are also meticulously simulated on the walls.
Another beautiful plus point is the color and light coordination that keeps the sanctuary space majestic and mysterious.
mpressive bell tower
The architecture of Nha Trang Mountain Church is divided into 3 zones: The upper area is the corridor and two bell towers; the middle area is colorful glass windows; The bottom area is the door.
The impressive feature of the church is the bell tower area with two bronze bells crafted by the famous French bell company Bourdon Carillond. An e-flat and a dollar-and-dollar sound, when raised the sound reverberates throughout the region.
In particular, on the bell tower there is a large clock, 4 faces facing 4 sides, residents near the Nha Trang Mountain church area who want to know the time can look up there.
Activities that can be experienced at Nha Trang Mountain Church
Visitors to Nha Trang at any time of the year can easily move to Nui Church. However, the ideal time to explore Nha Trang Mountain Church is from November to February.
Every day in the morning or in the afternoon, visitors participate in a sermon to relax their souls and pray for the best possible for themselves and their families. Here, visitors can walk on the steps leading to the large courtyard on the church, admire the beautiful classical architectural style and feel the sacred space filled with religion.
Check-in is also an indispensable activity when visiting Nha Trang Mountain Church. Therefore, couples often choose this place to keep memorable memories for the big day.
Here are some tips and notes to keep in mind when visiting Nha Trang Mountain Church:
- Respectful attire: Visitors are asked to dress modestly and respectfully when visiting the church. This means avoiding revealing or inappropriate clothing.
- Climbing the stairs: The church is located on a mountain and requires climbing a set of stairs to reach it. The stairs can be steep and strenuous, so make sure to wear comfortable shoes and bring plenty of water if needed.
- Timings: The church is open daily, but it’s best to check the exact opening and closing times in advance to avoid disappointment.
- Photography: Visitors are welcome to take photographs of the church and the surrounding views, but it is important to be respectful and avoid disrupting any religious ceremonies or events that may be taking place.
- Guided tours: If you’re interested in learning more about the history and significance of the church, consider joining a guided tour. This can help you understand the cultural and religious context of the site.
- Be prepared for the weather: Nha Trang has a tropical climate, so it’s important to be prepared for hot and humid weather, especially if you’re visiting during the summer months. Make sure to bring plenty of sunscreen and a hat or umbrella to protect yourself from the sun.
- Donations: The church is supported by donations, so consider making a contribution if you’re able to do so. This can help support the maintenance and upkeep of the church, as well as local religious communities.
Attractions near Nha Trang Stone Mountain Church
Tram Huong Tower Nha Trang
Referring to the famous tourist icons of Nha Trang, it is impossible not to mention Tram Huong tower. The structure of the 6-storey tower is associated with a harmonious beauty like the image of a sail on the blue sea with the meaning that the lighthouse is illuminating day and night for this land.
Ponagar Tower Nha Trang
This is an attractive destination not to be missed in a coastal city tour. Ponagar Tower attracts visitors by its ancient, mysterious and sacred beauty. This largest complex of ancient Champa architecture in Vietnam will surely make you overwhelmed and open your eyes.
Nha Trang New Village Market
Nha Trang is not only attracted by beautiful places but also impresses visitors with a sense of peace and simplicity. Once visiting Nha Trang Xom Moi market, visitors will feel the wonderful atmosphere. Here, you can also enjoy countless delicious dishes and choose to buy many great gifts to bring back after your trip.
The tourist attractions near Nha Trang Stone Mountain Church mentioned above all have their own interesting features, bringing different levels of emotions to visitors. However, to make the trip more complete, you should choose luxury hotels/resorts to experience the most modern facilities in Nha Trang.
With peaceful beauty in classical architecture, visiting Nha Trang Mountain Church will surely bring visitors special emotions in the journey to discover Nha Trang.