The city of Vung Tau is located approximately 110 km east of Ho Chi Minh City. It is a city that protrudes out into the sea like a strip of land, with a coastline stretching 20 km. With its natural landscapes and rich cultural history, Vung Tau is an ideal destination that attracts tourists. If you are looking for a trip from Ho Chi Minh City to Vung Tau and are unsure how to go about it, the article below from VnCarRentals.com’s will introduce you to “How to travel from Ho Chi Minh City to Vung Tau? What mode of transportation to use?
Table of Contents
How many kilometers is it from Ho Chi Minh City to Vung Tau?
If you travel by road from Ho Chi Minh City to Vũng Tàu, the distance is not too far. It will take approximately 2 hours and 30 minutes for the journey of over 100 kilometers by car, considering various possible routes.
Route from Ho Chi Minh City to Vung Tau
It is not too far from Ho Chi Minh City to Vung Tau, and you have various route options if traveling by personal means such as a motorbike or car.
Via Cat Lat Ferry
Starting from the center of Saigon, head to Phu My Bridge, then to Nguyen Thi Dinh. Proceed straight to reach Cat Lai Ferry.
After the ferry, follow Lý Thái Tổ Street to Trần Văn Trà, then continue to Tôn Đức Thắng and onto National Highway 51. About 60 km on National Highway 51 will bring you to Bà Rịa City, and further on to Vũng Tàu.
The advantage of this route is the beautiful scenery, especially the areas with lush rubber plantations in Nhơn Trạch. Along the way, there are many inexpensive and cool roadside cafes for a rest.
For adventure seekers, this route from Ho Chi Minh City to Vũng Tàu is definitely worth trying, but note that it can be challenging to find, so it’s advisable to plan ahead.
Via Ha Noi Boulevard
From Saigon’s center, take Điện Biên Phủ Street, cross Sài Gòn Bridge to Hà Nội Boulevard. Continue to Đồng Nai Bridge and then proceed to National Highway 51. About 100 km on National Highway 51 will take you to Vũng Tàu.
This route is popular among tourists for its wide, beautiful, and easy-to-follow roads. There are many road signs, making it less likely for travelers to get lost. With plenty of traffic and checkpoints, it is considered safe.
The downside is that it’s a bit longer than other routes, and there are more twists and turns, resulting in a longer travel time. Additionally, there are many traffic police checkpoints, so it’s essential to stay in the correct lane and adhere to the speed limit.
Via Long Son
To take this route, follow either Hà Nội Boulevard or Cát Lái Ferry as mentioned above, then head to National Highway 51. From here, follow the sign leading to Long Sơn. Follow the directions to Trường Sa Street, pass by the Long Sơn Mansion, and cross two large bridges named Chà Và and Gò Găng.
Continue on Võ Nguyên Giáp Street, turn onto the national road, and proceed straight to Vũng Tàu. Travelers often recommend this route for its scenic beauty, shorter distance, fewer vehicles, and interesting sights, including floating fishing villages, salt fields, and vibrant red blooming phoenix flowers.
Via Long Thanh – Dau Giay Expressway
For those with a family or a private car, taking the Long Thanh – Dau Giay Expressway is a suitable option.
From Saigon, to reach the expressway:
- Option 1: Take National Highway 1 via Phu My Bridge, then onto Vành Đai 2 and the connecting road to the expressway.
- Option 2: Take Võ Văn Kiệt Street, pass through Thủ Thiêm Tunnel to Đồng Văn Cống. Continue to Vành Đai 2 and follow the same route as Option 1 to access the expressway.
Travel along the Long Thành – Dầu Giây Expressway until it intersects with National Highway 51, then turn onto it to reach Vũng Tàu. The advantages of this route include a beautiful and shorter journey; however, note that this expressway is not suitable for motorbikes.
Traveling from Ho Chi Minh City to Vung Tau
If you don’t have personal transportation, don’t worry because there are many passenger vehicles available for you to choose from, and the ticket prices from Ho Chi Minh City to Vung Tau are also diverse.
Traveling by Passenger Bus
You can go to the Eastern Bus Station at 292 Dinh Bo Linh Street, Ward 26, Binh Thanh District, Ho Chi Minh City, to purchase tickets for the trip to Vung Tau. There are quite a few buses serving this route with continuous departures. The travel time is approximately 2 to 2.5 hours. High-quality bus tickets range from 80,000 to 160,000 VND per ticket. The bus stops at Vung Tau Bus Station, located at 192 Nam Ky Khoi Nghia, Ward 3, Vung Tau City.
Here are some bus companies you can consider:
Hai Van Bus Company
One of the bus companies specializing in high-end limousine services on the Saigon – Vung Tau route and vice versa, Hai Van is a choice worth considering.
- Bus Types: Limousines with 9, 12, and 18 seats
- Ticket Prices: 150,000 – 180,000 VND
- Operating Hours: 5:00 AM – 10:30 PM daily
- How to Book: Visit the website https://cms.haivan.com/ or contact the hotline: 19006763
Phuong Trang Bus Company
Mentioning Phuong Trang immediately brings to mind a renowned bus company with a fleet of modern sleeper buses operating on various routes nationwide, including Vung Tau – Saigon.
- Bus Type: Sleeper buses with 28 seats
- Ticket Price: 115,000 VND
- Operating Hours: 6:00 AM – 7:00 PM daily
Hoa Mai Bus Company
Hoa Mai is the oldest bus company on the Saigon – Vung Tau route, offering a variety of buses catering to passengers from budget to premium.
- Bus Types: Limousines with 9 seats, and standard buses with 16 seats
- Ticket Prices: 110,000 – 160,000 VND depending on the bus type
- Operating Hours: 4:00 AM – 6:00 PM daily
Private Car Rental
If you are looking for a fast and convenient means of transportation that provides door-to-door service, then this is a suitable option for you. With the private car rental service with a driver, it is suitable for large groups of friends, families, elderly individuals, or international travelers when finding public transportation is challenging in Vietnam.
With the private car rental service with a driver in Ho Chi Minh City provided by VnCarRentals.com, you will have a comfortable and safe journey. A professional driver with basic English skills will pick you up anywhere in Ho Chi Minh City. On the way to Vung Tau, you can relax and explore various attractions along the route. Book the car rental service from Ho Chi Minh City to Vung Tau today for detailed advice and assistance.
Taking the Bus from Ho Chi Minh City to Vung Tau
This is the most economical means of traveling to Vung Tau. However, if you choose to take the bus, you will need to change buses three times:
- Route 150: Cho Lon Bus Station – Tan Van. Ticket price: 6,000 VND/person/one-way.
- Route 11: Vung Tau Intersection Bus Station – Tan Thanh Bus Station. Ticket price: 17,000 VND/person/one-way.
- Route 6: Tan Thanh Bus Station – Vung Tau Bus Station. Ticket price: 20,000 VND/person/one-way.
By Submarine Train
If you seek a unique experience for your journey from Ho Chi Minh City to Vung Tau, then the submarine train is the perfect choice for you. Currently, two train operators on the Saigon – Vung Tau route are GreenLines and Vina Express, with a travel time of approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes. You can purchase tickets at the station or from agents in both Ho Chi Minh City and Vung Tau.
Here is information on some trains:
- Operating hours: 6:30 AM to 5:00 PM, travel time of 1.5 hours, departing from Bach Dang Station, Ho Chi Minh City, and Cau Da Station, Vung Tau.
- Ticket booking in Vung Tau: 51 Ham Nghi, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Tel: (08) 9147806 – 8218185.
- Ticket booking in Ho Chi Minh City: 124 Ha Long, Vung Tau City, Tel: (064) 510 009.
Vina Express Train:
- Phone: (08) 38297892 – 39400621 – 38253888.
Petro Express Train:
- Ticket booking in Vung Tau: 120 Ha Long, Ward 1, Vung Tau City, Tel: (064) 81 81 81 – 515151 – 626262.
- Ticket booking in Ho Chi Minh City: 1A Ham Nghi, District 1, Tel: 08. 821 0650.
Traveling from Ho Chi Minh City to Vung Tau by Can Gio Ferry – Traditional Transportation
The Can Gio – Vung Tau ferry began operating at the beginning of 2021, effectively meeting the high demand for travel and goods transportation. This route plays a significant role in the development of local tourism.
From the center of Ho Chi Minh City, you only need to travel about 50km to reach Can Gio. From the Tac Suat ferry terminal (Can Gio), the ferry to Vung Tau operates from 6 AM to 6 PM, taking approximately 30 minutes to reach the Front Beach of Vung Tau. On average, there are about 60 trips per day, with approximately 24 trips within that time frame. The ticket price is incredibly affordable, around 70,000 VND per passenger.
Advantages of taking the ferry:
- Time-saving: With this route, it takes only about 1 hour and 30 minutes to reach Vung Tau.
- Diverse experiences: Occasionally changing the mode of transportation to a ferry can be a very interesting experience that you should try at least once.
- Sunset views: If you travel in the evening, you can go to the highest deck of the ferry to enjoy the sunset over the sea.
Disadvantages of taking the ferry:
- The road from HCMC to Can Gio is relatively long, and you have to arrange your own transportation, which may take a considerable amount of time.
- The Can Gio – Vung Tau ferry is always crowded, and tickets cannot be purchased online, so it’s advisable to go early to buy tickets on-site.
Here is a comprehensive guide for travelers on the journey from Ho Chi Minh City to Vung Tau. You can refer to and choose the most suitable method for yourself. Wishing you a pleasant and enjoyable trip!