Ma Pi Leng Pass in Ha Giang is one of the most winding and spectacular mountain passes in Vietnam, captivating adventurers from all corners of the country. If you also wish to explore this unique destination, follow the footsteps of VnCarRentals.com.
Table of Contents
Ma Pi Leng Pass – Most detailed information
Where is Ma Pi Leng Pass?
Ma Pi Leng Pass in Ha Giang, also known as Ma Pi Leng or Ma Pi Leng Pass, means “the living tip of a horse’s nose.” Ma Pi Leng is renowned as one of the perilous mountain passes in the Northern mountainous region, characterized by challenging curves and obstacles for drivers. The pass is located on National Highway 4C, spanning the communes of Pa Vi and Pai Lung in Meo Vac District, Ha Giang Province. It is among the highest and most treacherous mountain passes in the Northeastern mountainous area and is listed as one of the “four great mountain passes” in Vietnam worth conquering. Situated at an altitude of around 1,200 meters above sea level and stretching approximately 20 km (connecting the ancient town of Dong Van and Meo Vac town), Ma Pi Leng Pass twists and turns around the mountain like a white python. Following this route, you will pass through many famous villages and landmarks such as Pa Vi, Sin Cai,…
Ma Pi Leng Pass in Ha Giang is renowned as one of the most treacherous mountainous slopes in the Northern region. What makes it especially remarkable is that when you arrive here, you will be able to admire the majestic natural landscape. Additionally, there is an opportunity to hear fascinating stories about the miraculous history of this pass.
In reality, according to the H’mong language, Ma Pi Leng is also called by another name, Mã Pì Lèng or Mã Pí Lèng, meaning “the living tip of a horse’s nose.”
Many travelers passing through may not be aware that this winding and perilous road was built by 1300 youth volunteers and 1000 civilian workers from 16 ethnic groups in our country. After 11 years of hard work, from March 29, 1959, to June 15, 1965, the Happiness Road was completed and came into existence.
The section of the pass through Ma Pi Leng took a continuous 11 months. Seventeen young men from the cliff-mounting team risked their lives on the mountain walls, facing each danger, inching their way to complete this road. It is only then that one realizes the blood, sweat, and sacrifice of these courageous examples who fell to the ground to create the most challenging and beautiful pass in Vietnam.
Ma Pi Leng Pass elevation
In relation to sea level, the summit of Ma Pi Leng Pass is approximately 1,200 meters high, situated on the Dong Van Karst Plateau and formed by a series of sediment layers such as siliceous limestone containing fossils dating back over 400 years, sparkling slate rocks, etc. The surrounding area still contains many rugged and intimidating rock formations.
Length of Ma Pi Leng Pass
The road through Ma Pi Leng Pass in Ha Giang is approximately 20 km long, connecting the town of Dong Van to Meo Vac District. It runs parallel to the border and passes through numerous beautiful villages where tourists can stop and admire, such as Sin Cai, Pa Vi, and others.
Experience of traveling through Ma Pi Leng Pass
What is beautiful about traveling to Ha Giang? Notable attractions include the twin mountains of Co Tien, the pine forest in Yen Minh, and more. If you are still indecisive and unsure about when to embark on a journey through Ma Pi Leng Pass or how to go about it, read the following information for reference!
Best time to travel through Ma Pi Leng Pass
Tourists can explore Ma Pi Leng Pass in Ha Giang at any time of the year because this Northwestern land is always beautiful and incredibly poetic.
- January to March is the season of plum and cherry blossoms. You will capture stunning check-in photos with romantic landscapes adorned with vibrant flowers.
- In April, there is the unique Khau Vai Love Market, held once a year and dedicated to couples in love with unfinished stories.
- May marks the season of sparkling and colorful flooded fields, a unique gift of nature to the Northwestern region.
- September is the ripe rice season, offering breathtaking views of golden terraced rice fields.
- October and November bring the buckwheat flower season, a unique bloom exclusive to the Northwest.
- In December, it’s the season of mustard flowers. You can take photos amidst the blooming mustard flowers and even encounter white snowfall during this time.
How to travel to Ma Pi Leng Pass
So, to enjoy the beauty of Ha Giang like that, what are the ways to get to Ma Pi Leng Pass?
Traveling by bus
Usually, buses depart from My Dinh bus station to Ha Giang from 5 am to 9 pm, so you can comfortably choose a suitable time for your journey. If you want to conquer Ma Pi Leng Pass by motorcycle, consider renting a reliable motorcycle in Ha Giang.
Traveling by motorcycle
If you want more control in your adventurous journey to explore Ma Pi Leng Pass in Ha Giang, you can rent a motorcycle in Hanoi and take one of the following routes:
- Route 1: From Hanoi, head towards Thang Long Bridge, then turn to Viet Tri, Phu Tho, go through Tuyen Quang, and you will reach Ha Giang.
- Route 2: From Hanoi, go to Son Tay, straight to Trung Ha Bridge, then through Co Tiet to Phong Chau Bridge, up to Phu Tho town, Doan Hung, then turn to Tuyen Quang following National Highway 2 to reach Ha Giang.
This is an ideal option for travelers going in groups, families, or friends. With a private car service, you will have the flexibility and privacy to explore Ma Pi Leng Pass easily. With VnCarRentals.com’s private car rental service in Hanoi, you can easily arrange your journey to explore Ma Pi Leng Pass in Ha Giang. Book your trip from Hanoi to Ha Giang By Private Car Rental today.
What to bring when traveling to Ma Pi Leng Ha Giang
- Clothing: It is advisable to wear long-sleeved clothes to avoid insect bites and to stay warm during chilly autumn days. Especially in winter, the weather can drop significantly, so prepare thick jackets, scarves, gloves, socks, insulated shoes, etc. However, it’s important to stay comfortable and not overly bulky because conquering Ma Pi Leng Pass involves a lot of climbing!
- Food: If you decide to embark on a motorcycle adventure from Hanoi to Ma Pi Leng, it’s a good idea to prepare some snacks and a large water bottle for rest and dining along the way. Sometimes there will be rest stops along the road with beautiful views. Take a break, recharge, and continue your journey!
- Medications: When traveling to unfamiliar places, medications are essential. Bring some first aid supplies, cold medicine, fever reducers, etc. Additionally, since you’ll be surrounded by vegetation, it’s advisable to carry insect repellent spray, mentholated oil, and anti-insect bite medication.
- Other essentials: In addition to the mentioned items, you should also bring some basic motorcycle repair tools as there won’t be any motorcycle repair shops or gas stations on the pass. Some essential tools include a 1.5-liter fuel can, tire repair kit (pump, tire levers, patch kit, adhesive…). Don’t forget your vehicle documents!
Notes for Mountain Pass Adventure
For a smooth adventure trip, you need to take note of a few things:
- Regarding luggage, it’s advisable to bring compact and lightweight items. If traveling in the summer, female travelers should bring a thin jacket as high-altitude areas can be quite cold at night. If traveling in winter, make sure to equip yourself with warm clothing, scarves, gloves, etc.
- Especially, if you are on a motorcycle adventure, remember to bring essential items such as documents, adventure gear, sturdy protective gear, or motorcycle repair tools like adhesive, pump, patch kit, etc., as there are no repair shops along the way.
Ma Pi Leng Pass in Ha Giang is evaluated as one of the breathtaking destinations that you shouldn’t miss. Hopefully, the above-shared information will help you have a successful journey to conquer and explore one of the “four great mountain passes” of the Northwest mountains in Vietnam.