Am Tien Cave in Ninh Binh is renowned for its captivating scenery nestled within the deep mountains and valleys. It has been closely associated with various historical periods of the country, dating back to the reign of King Dinh Tien Hoang. Today, this location is well-known among numerous travelers who come to visit, and many have eloquently referred to it as the “enchanting fairyland.” Am Tien Cave features a mystical landscape, and stepping foot here feels like entering a realm of celestial beauty. It is an ideal destination for families and groups of friends to explore and capture memorable photos, especially during weekends. Join VnCarRentals as we delve into and uncover the full beauty of Am Tien Cave in Ninh Binh through the following article.
Introduction to Am Tien Cave
- Address: Truong Yen Commune, Hoa Lu District, Ninh Binh Province
In Ninh Binh tourism, apart from well-known attractions such as Trang An, Hang Mua, Hoa Lu, Tam Coc – Bich Dong, travelers should definitely not miss Am Tien Cave. It is a very interesting destination, and in recent years, it has garnered a lot of attention, especially among young visitors.
Am Tien Cave is located within the ancient capital of Hoa Lu, in the Truong Yen commune of Hoa Lu district, Ninh Binh. It is situated at the foot of Dia mountain, near Ao Giai, where the king used to keep crocodiles to punish wrongdoers, serving as a judicial platform for ruling the kingdom. Nowadays, the area has been renovated, a new temple has been built, and it has earned the nickname “Ninh Binh’s Enchanting Fairyland.” The captivating and mysterious scenery here leaves everyone in awe. Plan your trip to capture unforgettable moments.
How to Get to Am Tien Cave in Ninh Binh
There are several ways to reach Am Tien Cave in Ninh Binh. The distance from Hanoi to Am Tien Cave is about 100 kilometers. Travelers can choose from various modes of transportation:
- Motorcycle: If you’re traveling from Hanoi, follow National Highway 1A towards Ninh Binh City, then turn left towards the scenic areas of Trang An or Bich Dong, and continue on Provincial Road 491C until you reach Am Tien Cave. Signs with detailed directions are readily available, making it easy to find. Riding a motorcycle is a popular choice, especially among young travelers, offering flexibility and a chance for memorable photo opportunities.
- Private Car: Renting a private car with a driver in Hanoi is a suitable option for international tourists, families, and groups of friends. VnCarRentals.com provides private car rental services to ensure a time-efficient journey. Our drivers will pick you up from anywhere in Hanoi, and you can also make stops at other tourist attractions along the way. Book your car rental from Hanoi to Ninh Binh today to have a well-organized itinerary.
- Bus: Many travelers opt for bus transportation to Ninh Binh. There are several bus stations in Hanoi, such as Giap Bat and My Dinh, offering various departures between 6 am and 6 pm. The ticket prices range from 100,000 VND to 150,000 VND per ticket, and the journey takes approximately one hour. Once you arrive in the center of Ninh Binh, you can choose to rent a motorcycle in Ninh Binh.
Note: If you plan to stay for 2 days and 1 night, you can combine a visit to other famous nearby attractions, such as Hoa Lu, Trang An, Tam Coc, Bai Dinh Pagoda, etc. Most visitors combine an additional one or two attractions for a convenient and enjoyable trip, departing around 7-8 am to allow ample exploration time.
Best Time to Visit Am Tien Cave
The ideal time to visit Am Tien Cave is from March to July every year. During this period, Ninh Binh experiences dry weather, which is pleasant for exploration. This time also marks the peak season for Am Tien Cave. Additionally, you can visit Tam Coc – Bich Dong, Hoa Lu during this period, where you can admire the blooming lotus flowers and golden rice fields, creating a truly spectacular landscape.
Am Tien Cave Entrance Fees
Am Tien Cave is a relatively new and popular attraction, especially among young people who come to capture Instagram-worthy photos. To enter the cave, you need to purchase a ticket, which costs around 20,000 VND per person. Additionally, you should budget for potential extra expenses. You can enjoy various delicious dishes at reasonable prices while admiring the enchanting beauty of Am Tien Cave in Ninh Binh.
Exploring the Beauty of Am Tien Cave in Ninh Binh
Admiring the Pristine Beauty
When visiting the Am Tien Cave in Ninh Binh, the breathtaking scenery here will captivate travelers with its alluring charm. The combination of the sky, majestic mountains, and unique rock formations, along with the lush greenery covering the land, creates a stunning natural spectacle. Reflecting this natural beauty is a serene lake that adds to the mystical atmosphere. When you step inside, you’ll feel the fresh, cool, and spacious air. This is why Am Tien Cave is always a magnet for many visitors.
Tranquil and Serene Lake Surface
One of the most impressive features of Am Tien Cave in Ninh Binh is the presence of a serene and tranquil lake amidst the vast landscape. This pristine lake reflects multiple objects, creating a serene and extraordinary ambiance. The clear, emerald waters of the lake reveal underwater mosses, providing a sense of wonder. This location is also popular for pre-wedding photoshoots for couples. Moreover, the surrounding mountain foothills have winding paths where visitors can bike and stroll during the evening, allowing them to enjoy the scenic beauty while watching the sunset.
The Sacred Stone Gateway
The stone gateway holds many beautiful memories and significant historical moments. Observing the remarkably sturdy rock formations and the unique, ancient architecture opens up a space that evokes a sense of nostalgia for many visitors.
Am Tien Pagoda Honoring Historical Figures
Visiting Am Tien Cave gives you the opportunity to explore Am Tien Pagoda, which shares its name with the cave. It is named after a Buddhist monk, Nguyen Minh, who dedicated this place to the souls of ancient prisoners. It was a place for punishment for wrongdoers and traitors. To reach the pagoda, you need to climb approximately 250 stone steps. When you arrive, you’ll be amazed by the natural limestone formations of Am Tien Cave. The main chamber of the cave was once a courtroom for criminal judgments, and wrongdoers were cast into the cave. Additionally, beneath this cave was a place for keeping tigers, leopards, and other dangerous animals. When you visit, you can explore the entire scene inside the cave and gain a deeper understanding of its history. Next to the main cave is Am Tien Pagoda, where Queen Duong Van Nga practiced Buddhism in her later years. The pagoda’s design follows the Dinh dynasty architecture and covers an area of about 100 square meters with various prayer chambers.
Preserving Memories at the Sturdy City Wall
Tuyet Tinh Coc is an ideal location for capturing aerial views. From a moderate height, you can enjoy panoramic views of the land. Gazing into the distance, you’ll see the grandeur of the ancient capital of Hoa Lu. Many couples choose this location for wedding or family photos. The ancient city wall, a long-lasting architectural work from the Dinh dynasty, still stands firm and strong, bearing the marks of time and history.
Beautiful Tourist Destinations Near Am Tien Cave
Am Tien Cave not only possesses a mysterious and romantic beauty, but you can also combine your visit with several nearby attractions. Here are some of the captivating places near Am Tien Cave:
Trang An Scenic Landscape
The Trang An complex is an extraordinary combination of natural beauty and cultural heritage. It includes Trang An, Tam Coc, and Bich Dong, where you’ll find archaeological sites and the historical relics of the ancient capital of Hoa Lu, associated with the famous King Dinh Tien Hoang. Later, it became a stronghold against the Mongol-Yuan invaders during the Tran dynasty. The area boasts 31 lakes and 48 different caves, often compared to a watercolor painting with its unique and ever-changing scenery over centuries. Visitors will be amazed by the numerous limestone formations, including Hang Sang (Bright Cave), Hang Toi (Dark Cave), Hang Com (Rice Cave), Hang Ba Giot (Three Drops Cave), Hang Nau Ruou (Cooking Wine Cave), Hang Boi, and more. Trang An also features many historical and cultural relics, such as Trinh Temple, Tran Temple, Tu Tru Temple, the Ngoc Phat Caves, and others. Don’t miss a visit to Trang An when you’re in Ninh Binh; it won’t disappoint you.
Tam Coc – Bich Dong Tourist Area
Tam Coc – Bich Dong is part of the Trang An complex and features not only mystical caves but also beautiful karst landscapes. If you visit during the early months of the year, you’ll have the chance to enjoy the natural scenery along with the vibrant celebrations of the Lunar New Year. You can row on small boats through the refreshing and pristine waters, offering an enjoyable experience. If you visit at the end of May or the beginning of June, you can witness the lush golden rice fields in Tam Coc. This is a time when the fields are ripe, and the fragrance of the rice adds to the charm of the scenery. The harmonious combination of the golden fields and the blue sky, along with the surrounding landscape and greenery, creates a captivating and poetic scene.
Hoa Lu Ancient Capital
Hoa Lu Ancient Capital is a historical site deeply connected with the history of the early Dai Co Viet state. The ancient capital has a history spanning over 1,000 years, and it exudes a peaceful and timeless charm. The surroundings of Hoa Lu are characterized by majestic limestone hills, picturesque lakes, and a serene atmosphere. When you step into Hoa Lu on a beautiful day with white clouds and golden sunlight, you’ll feel like you’re transported back to the heroic and glorious days of our ancestors, who fought valiantly. The finely crafted architectural structures reveal intricate carvings and provide a fascinating glimpse into history. The historical site of Hoa Lu includes impressive structures like city walls, tombs, temples, and palaces. Notable among them are the temples dedicated to King Dinh and King Le, constructed in the 17th century. Hoa Lu Ancient Capital is a captivating destination, especially for travelers interested in exploring history.
Delicious Dishes in Ninh Binh
The cuisine in Ninh Binh is one of the reasons that attract thousands of tourists to this beautiful ancient capital every year. Below are some incredibly enticing dishes that you should enjoy with your friends when visiting Ninh Binh:
- Specialty Mountain Goat: When it comes to Ninh Binh cuisine, everyone immediately thinks of the famous specialty, Ninh Binh mountain goat. What makes the goat in this area different from elsewhere is that these goats are raised freely, grazing on rocky mountainsides with plenty of wild herbs. As you travel through the mountains, you’ll easily spot goats perched on high cliffs, making their meat firm and fragrant. Goat meat can be prepared in various ways, such as steamed goat, goat with lime leaves, goat hotpot, and more. Among these, the goat with lime leaves is a favorite of many tourists, and you must try it when you visit Ninh Binh.
- Kim Son Bun Moc: Many tourists are probably familiar with Kim Son bun moc. It is a unique combination of white, fragrant vermicelli noodles served with flavorful and chewy pork and mushroom balls. When you taste it, you’ll immediately notice the rich, sweet flavor. You can enjoy it with fresh herbs like bean sprouts, dill, and mint. This is a popular dish that many tourists enjoy for breakfast and provides all the energy you need for your day.
- Ninh Binh Burnt Rice (Com Chay): Burnt rice is one of the favorite snacks when visiting Ninh Binh. This dish is made from round glutinous rice grains that are roasted to a crispy, golden brown. They are cooked in a wide pan over a charcoal stove, ensuring they turn consistently crispy and shiny. When you try a bite, you’ll feel the satisfying crunch, complemented by the savory jerky and a dash of chili sauce with a hint of spiciness. It’s a delightful combination that’s truly enjoyable.
Things to Consider Before Visiting Am Tien Cave
If you intend to visit Am Tien Cave, here are some important things to keep in mind for a more enjoyable and memorable trip:
- Bring plenty of water: It’s essential to stay hydrated, especially if you plan to hike or explore the area around Am Tien Cave. Carry a sufficient supply of bottled water to avoid dehydration.
- Wear appropriate clothing: Opt for comfortable, lightweight, and breathable clothing. Hiking or exploring the cave can be physically demanding, so choose clothes that allow you to move freely and wick away sweat. Sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat are also recommended for sun protection.
- Sturdy footwear: Make sure to wear suitable footwear, like sneakers or hiking shoes, for comfortable walking or climbing. The terrain may be uneven or steep, so proper footwear is essential for safety.
- Be mindful of the time: Plan your visit during daylight hours and avoid being out late, particularly after 4 pm. The area can get dark quickly after November, making it potentially hazardous to navigate.
- Respect the environment: Keep the area clean and do not litter. Dispose of your trash properly and respect the natural beauty of the surroundings. Avoid any activities that may harm the environment or disturb the wildlife.
Am Tien Cave is not only a precious gem nestled in the tranquil hills and waters but also a historically significant site linked to the great dynasties of our country’s past. If you have the opportunity to visit the Ninh Binh region, don’t miss the chance to explore Am Tien Cave, one of the most beautiful attractions in the area.